Sunday 6 July 2014

[HIGH] Tea with Karen




I'm starting to think a little about all the family birthdays we have coming up over the next few months.  Some magical moments to look forward to - for sure!  But before I get too far ahead of myself, I need to revisit the recent high tea I hosted to coincide with my dear Mum's birthday.

I just love birthdays.  I really do. Not just mine, but those of my family and close friends.  I love spoiling people, making them feel special, or just letting them know that I am thinking of them on their special day.  And whilst it's nice to have a special day just for ourselves - that once a year, I-can-eat-as-much-cake-as-I-want kinda day - it's also a timely reminder to think about who has helped you on your journey so far, and project forward a few wishes for the future.

 My gorgeous mum, Karen (Photography by Katrina Anne Photography, Darwin NT)


I really wanted to throw a little party of sorts for my Mum, Karen, and given her philanthropic endeavours since her diagnosis with breast cancer back in 1998, decided that a Host Your Own High Tea in support of the McGrath Foundation was the perfect celebration.  The McGrath Foundation plays a pivotol role in funding Breast Cancer nurses in communities across Australia, supporting women and families affected by the disease.  The high tea inititiative brings people together in a relaxed and unique environment for the common cause of raising much needed funds and awareness for the Foundation. So --  sharing devine delights whilst supporting a cause close to our own hearts? Yes! please, and thankyou!


 

Mum's creativity and event management skills have certainly been called upon for so many similar fundraising events in the past, so again, we joined together in calling for monetary donations, baked some edible goodness and set about sipping tea from fine china with our gathered friends and colleagues.







It was so humbling to think that our modest event, with the help of friends and family spread near and far, raised in excess of $1100 - hugely different to our initial and seemingly 'realistic' target of $250?!


Our friends have truly been amazing in their unwavering support of our family and the 'causes' we have supported over the last 16 years.  This high tea was no exception - their continued enthusiasm and encouragement really does motivate us to take part in such great initiatives, and we certainly couldn't do it without our 'network'.  One of our biggest 'fans' is Mum's best friend of 50+years, Wendy, who is also my God-mother.  Wendy was actually visiting Mum in Darwin for her birthday, and so we of course enlisted her help once again.  She is certainly no stranger to these events, and her help in making this stylish and sophisticated afternoon affair a success, was truly appreciated.


Our closest 'network' - the family; Wendy and Karen (Photography by Katrina Anne Photography, Darwin NT)


I am confident that Mum had a lovely birthday and enjoyed meeting new faces and welcoming older friends. Officially another year older now, and perhaps looking for the next challenge, Karen?!  I am also most certain that the proceeds of our little tea party will  go some way to funding the next Australian Breast Care nurse and raising awareness of breast cancer in young women - what a great birthday legacy!  And if YOU can make a heartfelt contribution, please take the opportunity to do so.  For, as they say at the McGrath Foundation, "together we can make a difference". 


No comments:

Post a Comment